(Photo: David Alexis via Twitter)
“Music is transformative,” wrote music teacher David Alexis, captioning a video clip circulating social media this week.
The 30-second video showcases Alexis during a music session he organizes for adults with autism, where the group “made magic.”
Alexis offers a special music therapy program for adults with autism and other conditions based in New York City, using the power of music to help transform lives and warm hearts in the process.
"Activities engage adults in multiple methods of music production," the 27-year-old professional musician and educator told Complex. "In this instance, [the] young man had an ear for music. I taught him the chord progression by rote while singing and leading the others."
Alexis graduated from the Berklee College of Music and currently is a faculty member in the 5-Week Performance Program. He has worked with both children and adults throughout his budding career, including in settings ranging from domestic violence centers and LGBT shelters.
“No matter your functioning, music can be an avenue of communication and engagement,” he added. “The young man in the video demonstrated musical skill on par with college students.”
The world could use more teachers like Alexis. Simply amazing.
Check out the now-viral clip of the two performing part of the classic 1972 O'Jays track "Love Train” in the video below.
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024