Kelis explained why she has chosen to remain positive through grief after losing her husband Mike Mora to stage 4 stomach cancer earlier this year.
In an interview with People, the Grammy-nominated artist said she maintained a positive outlook on the devastating situation.
“It doesn’t change the fact that I’m heartbroken... but it does change how I choose to approach it,” she shares. “It reminds you how short time is and how we don’t have any control. I want to control what I can control — how I treat the people around me. I’m really big on celebrating people when they’re here. I don’t feel like it’s as useful when they’re gone.”
Adding, “Life is not always what we want it to be, but it’s still life,” the 43-year-old says. “That’s something else beautiful that was able to come from an otherwise really tragic and painful time for a lot of people.”
Kelis said that she and her late husband chose to focus their time on living every moment together during his two-year-long battle.
“It wasn’t something that was sudden. We were able to prepare, love, and say goodbye,” she shares.
The couple shared two children, a son Shepherd, 6, and a daughter, Galilee, who was born shortly before the 37-year-old photographer was diagnosed with stomach cancer. The singer is also mother to Knight, 13, who she shares with rapper Nas.
“We were able to spend the time that we needed to, as much as we were given, the best way that we could,” Kelis added. “Is it a great situation? No, it’s freaking awful, but I am grateful.”
In other Kelis news, 2023 marks the 20th anniversary of her third studio album Tasty which features the widely recognized and Grammy-nominated track “Milkshake.” As for the singer, she is looking forward to the milestone accomplishment in her career.
“This is going to sound really cocky and really arrogant, but I saw a picture of myself that someone posted [from the Tasty era] earlier today, and I was like, ‘You know what, I was freaking killing it,’” she recalls. “Sometimes you just need to remind yourself, ‘I’ve been this, and I’ve been doing it.’ It’s OK to say that.”
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024