Columbus County, N.C., Sheriff Jody Greene has reportedly been suspended after he allegedly made racist statements against Black deputies.
According to the Charlotte Observer, the move came at the request of the local district attorney, who condemned the sheriff for making the comments on a recording that was published on a local TV station last week.
On the recording, Greene called some deputies “Black b*stards.” Superior Court Judge Douglas Sasser suspended Greene on Tuesday (October 4), said Bladen, Brunswick and Columbus county district attorney Jon David.
David filed a motion to have Greene suspended immediately earlier that day. He’s also filed a petition to remove Greene permanently with a hearing on the matter scheduled for later this month.
On Monday, the Observer reports that David wrote a letter to Greene urging him to resign. In the letter, David noted that Greene was required to disclose to trial judges “any conduct that may call into question either your veracity or ability to impartially uphold the law on racial grounds.
“There can be no question that the use of racist language, directed at all officers of color under your command, is conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice, which brings the Office of Sheriff into disrepute,” David added.
Columbus County is home to 50,000 people and about a third of them are Black or multiracial, according to the Observer.
“Even though the sheriff has been suspended, it’s really not a celebration time,” said the Rev. Andy Anderson Tuesday night at a meeting hosted by the Columbus County branch of the NAACP.
In a long Facebook post made last week, Greene attempted to defend himself, saying that the recording had been altered, but didn’t deny making the remarks. He also assured his supporters on Facebook that he would not resign
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024