(Photo: Tawon Boyd via Facebook)
After an unpleasant interaction with Baltimore Police, Tawon Boyd passed away from heart and kidney failure. Boyd died in a hospital three days after his experience with law enforcement.
On Sunday, police were called to Boyd’s residence after his girlfriend called 911 and reported that he was acting “crazy.” According to Boyd’s grandmother, Linda Burch, the 21-year-old was behaving odd and “acting kind of strange, like he was on something.”
When police arrived on the scene, they reportedly tried to get him into the police car. According to reports, Boyd was profusely sweating and appeared to be confused and paranoid.
The officers attempted to apprehend Boyd, yet he was not complying, officials said. Burch believes that when the officers restrained Boyd, they used excessive force.
“He was just hollering and screaming on the ground, and they just kept pushing him down, pushing him down, on his shoulder and back and stuff, hitting him,” Burch said. “He was trying to get them off of him.”
Police claimed that Boyd was resisting so much that he injured one of the officers. A medical team was called to the scene to administer something; however, police have not released the drugs used to sedate Boyd.
When Boyd was put into the ambulance, his pulse was checked and he was still breathing.
Latoya Francis-Williams, the family’s attorney, believes inappropriate actions were taken to restrain Boyd.
“Mr. Boyd was in need of medical attention, and the police responded with violence,” said Francis-Williams. “The police beat him into intensive care, and now he’s no longer with us.”
Internal investigations are occurring while an autopsy to determine the cause of death is performed.
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024