(Photos from left: Nicholas Hunt/Getty Images for H&M, Michael Kovac/Getty Images for J/P Haitian Relief Organization)
Bill Maher made headlines a week ago when he called himself a "house n****r" during an interview segment on his show Real Time.
Since the interview was aired, the late night host was slammed for the racially insensitive remark and has been dubbed racist by many. Now, Maher has invited some guests to his show to share their thoughts on the controversial moment, one of whom is MC Ice Cube, who wasted no time in questioning the host's motives.
"I knew you were gonna f**k up sooner or later... I did," Cube said while sitting beside Maher. "But you be bucking up against that line, you got a lot of Black jokes. Sometimes, you sound like a redneck trucker."
Cube then asked the golden question that has been on just about everyone's minds: "My thing is this, I just want to know... What made you think it was cool to say that?"
After Maher replied with, "There was no thought to it," Cube added that while he accepts his apology, "we need to get to the root of the psyche," showing that there are white men like Maher who are a bit "too familiar" and think they have a pass.
"I think that there's guys who are a little too familiar," he said. "Who might have a Black girlfriend or two that made them some Kool-Aid every now and then, and they think they can cross the line, and they can't... It's a word... that's like a knife... that's been used as a weapon against us by white people."
Cube ended his piece with the direct words: "...and we not gonna let that happen again."
Take a look at the segment, below:
In addition to Cube, political commentator Symone D. Sanders also shared her thoughts on Maher's distasteful words, saying, "By referring to yourself as a house-anything, you're attempting to whitewash who was really enslaved in the house."
From there, she gave an incredibly rousing explanation as to why his comments were intolerable and should never be repeated.
Watch her amazing piece, below:
Get the rundown on Bill Maher's apology in the BET Breaks video, above.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024