Eleven-year-old Alaya High, best known by her artist name, That Girl Lay Lay, is a rapper on the rise. Hailing from Houston, Lay Lay has fully jump-started her career at an early age simply by posting a fun video of her freestyling over BlocBoy JB’s track "Shoot." That video turned Lay Lay into a viral sensation, propelling her into the spotlight and snagging her a deal with Empire and features on Ellen, The Frank Ski Morning Show and other outlets.
Recently, Lay Lay has dropped her debut album, Cheat Code, and is really beginning to make waves in her hip-hop career. Check out Lay Lay's interview below.
- Describe the moment when you realized that you wanted to pursue rapping seriously.
- Who inspired you to fall in love with hip-hop music?
- How did it feel when you found out your freestyle video went viral?
- Talk to us about how you got signed.
- What's the biggest influence behind your lyrics when you go into the studio?
- If you could collaborate with any other female artist, who would you choose and why?
- How do you balance going to school, having a social life and being an artist?
- Describe your first experience performing on stage?
- What advice would you give other young girls your age who may want to pursue music, but feel like they don’t know where to start?
That Girl Lay Lay: I would tell them don’t follow after a trend, create your own, it’s better when you follow your heart and stay original.
- This Week In Good Black News: Rihanna, A$AP Rocky in Fenty Film; Beyoncé Tops Billboard 100 With "Texas Hold Em"; Russell Westbrook to Build Affordable Housing in LAPlus, the Philadelphia Orchestra renames its concert hall after legendary singer Marian Anderson.03/01/2024
- Aldis and Edwin Hodge on Breaking Down Doors for Black Voices in Sci-Fi with ParallelThe brothers spoke to BET about their new sci-film.03/01/2024
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Five Facts About 'The Oval’s' Javon JohnsonThe actor is passionate about the craft of acting and mentoring aspiring minds.02/29/2024