New Jersey Man Convicted In Slaying Of Two Children, College Student Over Facebook Post

Jeremy Arrington was motivated by revenge in his brutal torture of a Newark family, the prosecutor says, prompted by a post on the social media platform.

A New Jersey jury on Friday (March 4) convicted a man for the 2016 brutal torture and killing of a family in Newark, the Essex County prosecutor announced, adding that a Facebook post apparently prompted the violent rampage that ended in the murder of two children and a college student.

After a 10-day trial, jurors convicted Jeremy Arrington, 31, on 28 charges, including three counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder, burglary, criminal restraint and weapons charges, Acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore N. Stephens II said.

During a home invasion, Arrington fatally stabbed Aerial Little Whitehurst, 8, and Al-Jahon Whitehurst, 11, authorities stated. A third victim, Syasia McBurroughs, 23, was shot to death.

Arrington faces life in prison at his April 8 sentencing.

Prosecutors say that a social media posting ignited Arrington’s lethal rage. According to, Arrington was a suspect in a previous shooting and sexual assault case. One of the stabbing victims had reposted an alert about Arrington on Facebook.

RELATED: Black Florida Mom Pleads Guilty To Killing Her 5-Year-Old Daughter

RELATED: Jacqueline Avant Murder Suspect Pleads Guilty In Her Shooting Death

According to prosecutors, Arrington armed himself with a gun and broke into the Whitehurst home on the afternoon of Nov. 5, 2016. He tied up everyone inside the apartment and stabbed them with kitchen knives.

A young girl with autism escaped Arrington’s clutches and called for help on her phone while hiding in a closet. He fled before the police arrived.

Two of the children, Aerial and Al-Jahon, were taken to a hospital where they were pronounced dead. He shot McBurroughs who died at the scene. Three other victims, a 29-year-old woman and 13-year-old twins, survived their stab wounds.

“We are forever grateful to the courageous survivors and witnesses who testified as well as the investigative personnel who helped bring this defendant to justice,” Deputy Chief Assistant Prosecutor Justin Edwab said.

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.

By clicking Subscribe, you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. You also agree to receive marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers) and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. You understand that you can unsubscribe at any time.