(Photo: Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images for Pennsylvania Conference for Women)
Michelle Obama is opening up like never before ahead of the release of her new memoir, Becoming. In a tease for a sit down interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” the former first lady revealed she felt as if she “failed” when she suffered a miscarriage 20 years ago.
While speaking with ABC’s Robin Roberts, Mrs. Obama said the stigma surrounding fertility issues contributed to her feeling.
“I felt like I failed because I didn’t know how common miscarriages were because we don’t talk about them,” Obama said in the special, which will run Sunday. ”We sit in our own pain, thinking that somehow we’re broken.”
The 54-year-old mom said she underwent in vitro fertilization treatments to become pregnant with daughters Sasha and Malia, now 17 and 20.
“I realized that as I was 34 or 35. We had to do IVF,” she said, adding that she felt “lost and alone” during her struggles to conceive.
In her new memoir, which can be bought on Tuesday, Mrs. Obama also discussed life in Chicago, facing racism while in the White House and becoming the country’s first Black first lady.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024