(Photo by Paras Griffin/Getty Images for BET)
On Tuesday (Feb. 9), Copeland announced to People that her new book is aimed to reach ages 10 and up and will be published by S&S/Aladdin Books and illustrated by Salena Barnes.
Black Ballerinas hits bookshelves on Nov. 2.
"Part of my mission is to bring awareness to the contributions of Black ballerinas," the 38-year-old dancer said in a statement obtained by People. "To give a sense of the rich histories of those who may not be documented in ballet history books, yet their careers — and legacies — are no less valuable and inspiring."
She also explained that the book would share her personal stories and connections and experiences with groundbreaking women and how they not only impacted the field of ballet but her successful career.
“Here are my intimate snapshots of those journeys,” she continued. “I am infinitely grateful for their legacies. This is my bow to them.”
According to the outlet, Copeland will pay her respects to Black ballet trailblazers like Raven Wilkinson, Lauren Anderson, and Janet Collins.
In 2014, Copeland published her memoir, Life in Motion, and her first children’s book, Firebird. Continuing to push for inclusivity, Copeland released a picture book about ballet titled Bunheads in 2020.
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024