Screenshot of Red Table Talk on Facebook Watch
No one can say that Jada Pinkett Smith isn’t a woman of her word. When singer August Alsina went public in June with his claim that he and Pinkett Smith had a romantic relationship with the "blessing" of her husband Will Smith, the Girls Trip actress promised to speak for herself to address the rumors.
“There’s some healing that needs to happen … so I’m bringing myself to The Red Table,” she tweeted referencing her popular Facebook Watch talk show, "Red Table Talk."
Apparently today is that day.
Pinkett Smith sat down with her husband and admitted that she did have a relationship with Alsina at a time when she and Smith had decided to separate.
Pinkett Smith admitted that she was in "a lot of pain and very broken" and realized you can't find happiness outside of yourself."
"It all started with [August Alsina] just needing some help. You know? Me, wanting to help his health, his mental state," Pinkett Smith began. Alsina recently shared that he had been suffering for years from liver and autoimmune diseases, as well as mental health and addiction issues. "We found all those different resources, you know, to help pull him through," she continued. "And from there, you know, you and I were going through very difficult time. ... we basically, we broke up."
Smith added, "We decided that we were going to separate for a period of time and you go figure out how to make yourself happy and I figure out how to make myself happy."
During that separation, Pinkett Smith shared that she had gotten close with Alsina. "As time went on, I got into a different kind of entanglement with August," she said. Will then pushed her on her choice of words: "This is your red table and you like brought yourself to the red table. I think you need to say clearly what happened," he pressed, until she finally confirmed, "It was a relationship, absolutely."
Her husband then asked, "What do you feel like you were looking for?" to which she candidly replied, "I just wanted to feel good. It had been so long since I felt good. And it was really a joy to help heal somebody."
Smith, always one to break the ice with a joke, followed by saying that he felt like he was one of those wives who stands by her man as the husband admits to his past transgressions at a press conference.
The couple went on to talk about how they decided to come back from the brink of divorce, heal together and renew their commitment to their marriage and their family. It was a decision that apparently was tough for Alsina to accept.
"As I came through and started to realize certain things about you and I, he decided to break all communication with me, which was totally understandable," she said. "And I let that be and hadn’t talked to him since."
As far as the rumors resurfacing now, and Alsina's perception that Smith had "given permission" for the affair, Pinkett Smith had this to say: "What August was probably trying to communicate, because I could actually see how he would perceive it as permission because we were separated amicably. I think he also wanted to make it clear that he’s not a homewrecker, which he’s not."
Watch the full conversation between Jada and Will on Red Table Talk on Facebook Watch below:
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024