Jada Pinkett Smith is getting candid about her long-time relationship with her husband, Will Smith.
On Tuesday, The Matrix Resurrections star appeared on the cover of PEOPLE in anticipation of her forthcoming memoir Worthy, on shelves October 17. In her book, Jada made a startling revelation that she and Will have been separated since 2016.
“We’re still figuring it out,” she told the outlet of the current state of her union with the Oscar winner.
“We’ve been doing some really heavy-duty work together. We just got deep love for each other and we are going to figure out what that looks like for us.”
In 1997, Will and Jada tied the knot in Baltimore on New Year's Eve and were quickly thrust into the spotlight as the new "It" couple. Still, after nearly 20 years of marriage and fresh news of their separation, they remain legally married. They share two children, Jaden, 24, and Willow, 21. Will is also father to a son named Trey, 29, from his first marriage with ex-wife Sheree Zampino.
Jada has continued to peel back the layers of her union with Will. She also sat down with Today's Hoda Kotb for a prime-time special, slated to air October 13 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on NBC. In that interview, she revealed that although they are legally married, they have no romance.
"It was not a divorce on paper," Kotb clarified.
"Right," Jada noted. "...but it was a divorce," Kotb continued.
"Divorce," Jada emphasized.
Kotb questioned why the couple had not gone public with the state of their union sooner. Jada explained she and Will had "just not being ready yet ... Still trying to figure out between the two of us how to be in partnership ... In regards to, how do we present that to people? We hadn't figured that out."
Still, she confessed to having contemplated getting a legal divorce, but never saw it through.
“I made a promise that there will never be a reason for us to get a divorce. We will work through ... whatever,” she said. “I just haven’t been able to break that promise."
Additionally, Jada unveiled that the demise of their relationship was complex and had been the result of many factors.
“Why it fractured...that — that’s a lot of things ... By the time we got to 2016, we were just exhausted with trying. I think we were both kind of just still stuck in our fantasy of what we thought the other person should be,” she shared.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024