Despite all the financial woes, public criticism from his exes and other controversy, life is good for Queens rapper Nas, or so he tells Complex magazine in their latest cover story. In the June/July issue of the pop culture mag, Nasty Nas shares his feelings on ex-wife Kelis, how and why their marriage ended and where they are going from here.
"There was a point where we were trying to hold onto a relationship that was finished," Nas said on the end of his marriage. "She was pregnant and in the studio while we were recording Distant Relatives, and he would move when the music would come on. That was a great feeling for me, just to have that feeling of family. It ended around the time the record was being done."
The couple experienced a very public divorce, one that the rapper admits bothered him at times.
"There were times when it didn’t bother me, and there were times when it bothered me a lot. There were times when I was thinking, 'Damn. I had this s--t all planned out, and now I’ve failed.' That was hard on me, because I don’t like to fail at anything. Accepting that I failed at this relationship — and it was public — messed me up. You ask yourself, 'How could that person be so cold?' And I’m sure she felt the same way about me. It was ugly."
Despite their nasty break up, Nas says their relationship is a lot better now and Kelis even allows him to see his son a lot more often. Through it all, he says that he still doesn't hate Kelis but their was a time when he did question their relationship.
"I got to a point where I was like, 'Did she always hate me?' and 'Did she ever love me at all?' I’ve got to admit, I did feel like that. But she did love me," he explains. "A lot of divorces are bad because a woman is just being vindictive. She’s not after the money, she just wants you to hurt the way she was hurt."
Financially, Nas says he's also cool with the amount of money the court has ordered him to shell out to his wife.
"It’s f----d up when money’s involved in divorce," said Nas. "And I don’t give a f--k. I can’t take it with me, so someone can take the money. Anyone that I’m married to, if I give you my life, I give you my heart, I love you — my money is nothing. You can have it all. It’s just sad that when you’re dealing with love and life and marriage, that marriage is a contract. It’s a business deal. That messes people up."
Although he appears to be very zen about the whole ordeal with his ex-wife, Nas says he's in no rush to get married again.
"I’m enjoying life and looking at each day like, 'This is beautiful,'" he said. "I’m having a good time. I’m not going to bring anybody in to mess that up. You come around looking like you’re going to mess this good time up, you’re out of here — fast. [Laughs.] I’m not sacrificing my happiness for nobody and their drama. No way."
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: UPI Photo/David Silpa/Landov)
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024