It's official, Kevin Durant is the newest member of Roc Nation Sports.
Durant was rumored to be signing with Jay-Z's newly formed sports company earlier this month; confirmation came Monday (Jun. 24) via a photo of the Oklahoma Thunder baller and Jay signing paperwork under the #newrules hashtag posted on Instagram with the message "Welcome to the FAMILY!!!!"
A quote from Jay above the photo reveals why he chose Durant. “He has a 90.5 free throw shooting rate, the youngest player in NBA history to join the 50-40-90 club, a giving individual and a legend in the making. What more can I say?”
Durant expressed being "grateful" for the "opportunity with Roc Nation Sports." The 24-year-old reportedly fired his old agent before jumping ship.
So far, Roc Nation Sports counts WNBA player Skylar Diggins, New York Yankees star Robinson Cano and New York Giants receiver Victor Cruz as clients acquired within the last few months.
Last week, it was confirmed that Jay received certification to represent players in the NBA and MLB. As of press time, he has not yet sold off his minority stake in the Brooklyn Nets. In accordance with industry restrictions, agents are barred from owning teams. However, since Jay partnered with sports agency powerhouse CAA, he's been able to loop right through those holes.
Aside from the NBA and MLB, The Roc has reportedly also looked to rep players within soccer and hockey.
Get ready for the BET Experience, featuring Beyoncé, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Erykah Badu, Kendrick Lamar and many more. Go here for more details and info on how to buy tickets. Sign-up now to attend free film screenings, celebrity basketball games and more.
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Johnny Nunez/WireImage)
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024