Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
After word got out that John Boyega, a Black British actor, was cast in one of the lead roles in the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, many of the franchise's fans lashed out with racist critiques. When the trailer for the movie was released last year showing Boyega playing a Stormtrooper, the grumpy comments hit fever pitch, and Boyega's had enough.
"Get used to it," he said in an Instagrm post about the criticism. That was one year ago — today, the backlash continues, and in his interview with V Magazine, he's putting his racist detractors in their place one last time, reminding them that he's here to stay.
"I'm in the movie; what are you going to do about it? You either enjoy it or you don't," he said. "I'm not saying get used to the future, but what is already happening. People of color and women are increasingly being shown on-screen. For things to be whitewashed just doesn't make sense."
He continued, saying that he's proud to be able to knock down racial stereotypes in the movie biz. "All the films I've done have had a secret commentary on stereotypical mentalities," he said. "It's about getting people to drop a prejudiced state of mind and realize, 'Oh s**t, we're just watching normal people.'"
Well said, John. Well said.
Watch another Black trailblazer in Hollywood, Lupita Nyong'o — who is also slated to star in the upcoming Star Wars film — talk about her signature look in the video below:
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
(Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)
- Gayle King Helped Plan Son's Recent Engagement"And I now have a favorite daughter-in-law to be,” said the "CBS Mornings" co-host.02/27/2024
- Keyshia Cole Surprises Middle Schoolers With “Love” Performance During RecitalThe Grammy-nominated singer performed with students at the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta.02/27/2024
- ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ Producers Claim They Didn’t Know The Famed Host Was Diagnosed With Dementia"If we had known that Wendy had dementia going into it, no one would’ve rolled a camera,” said producer Mark Ford.02/27/2024
- Diddy Accused of Sexual Assault By Former Male EmployeeThe allegations against the entertainment mogul come from a former producer and videographer who most recently worked on the "Love" album.02/27/2024
- Halle Berry And Halle Bailey Link Up At Soccer Game In Los Angeles"I was living for this moment!!" said "The Little Mermaid" star.02/27/2024
- Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Takes the Number One Spot On Billboard Hot 100The song is her ninth number-one hit on the chart and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.02/27/2024