WATCH ALL YOUR FAVORITE BET SHOWS

Sacramento Settles With Stephon Clark’s Parents, Will Pay Them $1.7 Million

Clark was shot and killed by police in 2018.

The City of Sacramento has reportedly reached a settlement with the parents of Stephon Clark who was shot and killed by police in 2018.

Officials said in a statement on Friday (August 12) that under the terms of the agreement, the city will pay Clark’s parents $1.7 million in an agreement that will bring an end to legal action.

“Stephon Clark’s death was a tragedy that bought pain and sorrow to his family and to our entire city,” Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg said in the statement, according to KTXL. “Everyone wishes this heartbreaking event had not occurred. A family lost a son, a grandson, a brother, and a father.”

RELATED: A Woman Was Hit By A Sheriff's Car At Stephon Clark's Vigil

The city previously provided $2.4 million as part of a 2019 settlement for Clark’s two children while “a later court ruling left his parents as the sole remaining plaintiffs,” according to the statement.

The 22-year-old Clark was shot by Sacramento police in March 2018 while he was in his grandmother’s backyard in the Meadowview neighborhood of the city.

Police said they believed Clark was armed, but it turned out he had a cellphone in his hand.

Stevante Clark, Stephon’s brother, said during a Friday press conference that the settlement isn’t enough, adding that the cops who shot and killed his brother should “prove their innocence in court.”

“The facts are Stephon Clark should be alive today,” he said. “The facts are Stephon Clark should be with his kids today.”

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.


By clicking subscribe, I agree to receive newsletters, marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers), and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. For more information about our data practices, consult our Privacy Policy.