A recent report by The New York Post revealed that Fame star Irene Cara spent her final days as a “recluse.”
Her Largo, Florida, neighbors reportedly shared that the 63-year-old singer/ songwriter was hella private and did not socialize with them– especially after COVID hit.
“She was a recluse. She didn’t talk to anyone,” Roseann Nolan, who lived across the street from Cara. “I didn’t even know it was her living there until a few years ago. It was the best-kept secret ever.”
Fifty-nine-year-old Maria Contreras lived next door to the Bronx native for years and explained that she gave her best efforts to become Cara’s friend, but she couldn’t bring the Sparkle star out of her shell.
“I’d text her or call her to invite her to come for a walk, but I wouldn’t hear back for days. And she’d never call back using her cellphone. She called from her computer because she was worried about privacy. She didn’t look well, and she said she had health issues,” she said.
Her manager, Betty McCormick, also told The Post that Cara “struggled” with keeping COVID a bay.
“She was very afraid of getting the [COVID] virus,” the Los Angeles-based manager said. “She really struggled during that period.”
Cara reportedly left the industry after being disgruntled by her former record label.
The Puerto Rican and Cuban-descent songstress passed away in Largo on November 25, BET.com reported. Her publicist, Judith Moose, shared that she died in her Florida home.
“It is with profound sadness that, on behalf of her family– I announce the passing of Irene Cara,” Moore said in a statement on the singer’s Twitter feed. “The Academy Award-winning actress, singer, songwriter and producer passed away in her Florida home. Her cause of death is currently unknown and will be released when information is available.”
- Drink Recipes Inspired by 'All the Queen's Men' CharactersTake a sip of these delicious concoctions inspired by the series!03/04/2024
- Celebrating Timeless Love: Five Unforgettable Black TV Couples Who Defined Relationship GoalsFrom the comedic highs of Martin and Gina to the journey of Rainbow and Dre, these iconic Black TV couples continue to inspire and reflect the complexities of love.03/04/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Kyla Pratt's Enduring Charm: 7 Memorable Roles from Child Star to Adult ActressThe NAACP Image Award nominee has been active in the entertainment biz since the ‘90s.03/04/2024
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024