Rapper Travis Scott has been accused of violating a gag order after attorneys for some of the victims from the deadly Astroworld music festival alleged that an effort to influence potential jurors could be happening behind closed doors.
The allegations took place in court on Monday (Mar. 28) according to the Associated Press.
Scott issued an announcement earlier this month about Project HEAL, a $5 million initiative that includes funding to address safety challenges for festivals and large-scale events.
“My team and I created Project HEAL to take much needed action towards supporting real solutions that make all events the safest spaces they can possibly be. I will always honor the victims of the Astroworld tragedy who remain in my heart forever,” Scott alongside an Instagram post after the initiative was announced.
Bob Hillard, one of the attorneys representing the family of the youngest concertgoer to die from injuries from the festival, Ezra Blount, said at a court hearing that Scott is using his social media platform to address one of the issues being discussed by the lawsuits, AP notes.
State District Judge Kristen Hawkins has previously stated that lawyers involved in the lawsuits were allowed to present the media with facts that happen in court, but didn’t want attorneys to make their cases in the court of public opinion and potentially influence the jury pool.
However, one of the rapper’s attorney’s Stephen Brody, said the Instagram announcement about the initiative didn’t violate the gag order.
Brody furthered his claim to say that charitable initiatives have “been a constant in [Travis Scott’s] life” and “to suggest somehow that speaking about those charitable initiatives … runs afoul of the publicity order … is certainly not something that would withstand scrutiny.”
Other attorney’s connected to the case shared with Judge Hawkins that they are working on a mutual agreement to modify the gag order.
Nine other concertgoers have died from injuries sustained at Astroworld, including Jacob Jurinek, 21; John Hilgert, 14; Brianna Rodriguez, 16; Franco Patiño, 21; Axel Acosta, 21; Rudy Peña, 23; Madison Dubiski, 23; Danish Baig, 27; and Bharti Shahani, 22.
Over 300 lawsuits have been filed following the tragedy.