It's no secret that J. Cole took "disappointing" Nas to heart. Cole's adoration for his favorite rapper birthed "Letting Nas Down" off his sophomore effort, Born Sinner, out today.
On the track, Cole reflects on Nas' reaction to his "Work Out" single. Over a somber jazz beat he raps, "I can't believe I let Nas down."
In an exclusive interview with BET.com, the Roc Nation emcee detailed recording the record, and debuting it to the Queens emcee after a chance airport run-in. On his way back from a gig that featured "the most random lineup you've ever heard in your life," he and Nas ended up in the same airport.
"As soon as I seen him, I knew this was fate," he says. "This album had so many moments that let me know that I was doing the right thing, that was one of 'em."
Nas was seated behind Cole, when he played the music. "A minute into the song he's like beating my chair! Just overall he was wild. The look on his face was like honored that I would make that, and also, highly impressed. That was a huge moment for me."
Cole's Born Sinner includes the Miguel-assisted "Power Trip" as well as "Crooked Smile" featuring TLC.
Up next, the North Carolina native will set out on an intimate-venue Dollar & A Dream tour, locations of which will be announced via his Twitter page.
Get ready for the BET Experience, featuring Beyoncé, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Erykah Badu, Kendrick Lamar and many more. Go here for more details and info on how to buy tickets. Sign-up now to attend free film screenings, celebrity basketball games and more.
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photos from left: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images, REUTERS/Lucas Jackson /Landov)
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024