Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
After an utterly shocking night, Donald J. Trump has been declared the winner of the presidential election. Hillary Clinton called Trumo to concede sometime after 2AM EST, effectively ending the contest.
Trump beat Clinton in several key battleground states, in stark contrast to polls that had Clinton on track to win by a landslide at best, and a four-point margin at worst. Trump gained an early advantage by winning Florida, and Clinton's path to victory disappeared after the Republican candidate took Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Sadly, Trump's campaign of hate speech, racism, sexism and lies prevailed and he has been named President Elect.
Trump made his victory speech from a hotel ballroom in New York City, just blocks away from the cleared-out Javits Center where Clinton was to hold her own victory rally. Surprisingly, Trump began his speech with some uncharacteristically kind words about his opponent.
"I've just recieved a call from Secretary Clinton. She congratulated us — it's about us — on our victory, and I congratulated her and her family on a very, very hard fought campaign. She fought very hard," he said. "We owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country."
He continued, "Now it's time for America to bind the wounds of division. It's time for us to come together as one united people. I pledge to every citizen of our land that I will be president to all Americans. For those who have chosen not to support me in the past, of which there are a few people, I'm reaching out to you for your guidance and your help."
"Ours was not a campaign, but rather an incredible and great movement, made up of hard working people who want a better, brighter future for themselves and their families," he went on to say, adding that he believes the country has "tremendous potential. It's going to be a beautiful thing. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer. ... America will no longer settle for anything less than the best."
Trump went on to invite some of his supporters, including Rudy Guiliani, to the stage.
For all the women, Black, brown, LGBT, progressive and immigrant communities in this country, all that's left to do is grieve, mourn, and start planning for a future in Trump's America.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024