Jenifer Lewis recently opened up about a personal struggle she'd been fighting: mental illness. The 57-year-old actress told News One that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1990 and has undergone therapy for 17 years as well as medication for 10 years.
Lewis said that her illness was triggered after her father passed away and she found the grief to be more than she could handle. "I cried and cried, and I started to scream. I wanted to be let out of the darkness."
But when three years passed and she was still unable to control her emotions, a friend suggested that maybe the cause went deeper than what Lewis initially thought.
"It's hard to accept that you have a problem," Jenifer said about receiving her diagnosis for bipolar disorder. "That's another piece of the disease – the denial. You think everyone cries themselves to sleep. You should ask yourself why am I so depressed, why am I so angry with my children, angry with my partner…why am I depressed, or over the top?"
For those who are also living with mental illness, Lewis said another key ingredient goes hand-in-hand with therapy and medication: self-love.
"You have to look in the mirror … and say — before you can go or grow into anything — you have to say you love yourself."
BET.com always gives you the latest fashion and beauty trends, tips and news. We are committed to bringing you the best of Black lifestyle and celebrity culture.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: David Buchan/Getty Images)
- This Week In Good Black News: Rihanna, A$AP Rocky in Fenty Film; Beyoncé Tops Billboard 100 With "Texas Hold Em"; Russell Westbrook to Build Affordable Housing in LAPlus, the Philadelphia Orchestra renames its concert hall after legendary singer Marian Anderson.03/01/2024
- Aldis and Edwin Hodge on Breaking Down Doors for Black Voices in Sci-Fi with ParallelThe brothers spoke to BET about their new sci-film.03/01/2024
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Five Facts About 'The Oval’s' Javon JohnsonThe actor is passionate about the craft of acting and mentoring aspiring minds.02/29/2024