Photo by: Paul Drinkwater/NBCU Photo Bank
Last night (November 18), the reunion of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air aired on HBO Max. The entire cast returned, including Janet Hubert who played the original Aunt Viv. However, one of the most touching moments was Will Smith reflecting on working with late James Avery who played Uncle Phil.
Avery passed away in 2013 at 68 years old reportedly due to complications from heart surgery.
Smith said Avery always “pushed” him to be the best and to “elevate your craft.”
Smith reminisced on a famous episode from season four titled "Papa's Got a Brand New Excuse." His character’s father popped up in his life after years of being absent and Smith delivered a powerful monologue.
“I remember in one of my favorite and most famous scenes from Fresh Prince – the father episode – James Avery was this six-foot-four, 300-pound stage-trained Shakespearean beast and I'm the little rapper from Philly under him and I wanted him to think I was good,” Smith said.
“I wanted him to be proud of me… we come to that scene and I was like, ‘I want to deliver this scene so bad’… I flubbed my line on the take and I messed it up in front of the audience and my mind snapped and I'm like, 'Ahhhh.' James says, 'Hey, right here… use me.’”
Smith continued through tears, “With the scene that we do, it’s the scene that ends being in the episode. And I fall into his arms at the end of the scene, he's holding me and he’s holding me. He whispered into my ear, 'Now that's acting.’ It’s like people don't even know when they're shaping you and forming you and crafting you. He knew.”
See the iconic scene below:
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air aired from 1990 to 1996. However, the series will still continue.
PEOPLE reported back in September that NBC’s streaming service Peacock ordered two seasons of Bel-Air, a dramatic take on reimagining the classic ‘90s sitcom.
Peacock shared in a press release that Bel-Air is a "serialized one-hour dramatic analogue of the '90s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air that leans into the original premise: Will's complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air."
It’s not clear if Will Smith will appear in the reboot.
You can watch the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reunion on HBO Max.
- Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone Talks Her New Book ‘Far Beyond Gold Running From Fear To FaithIn her memoir, the Olympic gold medalist explores her journey and all the obstacles she had to overcome to become one of the greatest track and field athletes ever.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024