The couple's two children, ages 9 and 13, were a consideration in the sentencing recommendation, so the Jacksons would not be imprisoned at the same time, the Chicago Tribune reports.
As outlined in the sentencing memo, Sandi Jackson, a former Chicago alderman, would serve her term first and with good behavior could return home in a little more than a year after surrendering. She also would have to pay more than $168,000 in restitution and be on home confinement after her release.
Jesse Jackson would then serve his term. Prosecutors recommended that he repay his campaign $750,000 and forfeit another $750,000. He also would be on supervised release for an additional three years.
According to the Tribune report Jackson's lawyers were scheduled to file a sentencing memorandum today, but it will likely be sealed until the judge decides to grant a request to withhold parts containing "personal, sensitive details about his medical condition" from the public.
Both Jacksons entered plea deals earlier this year on charges related to the misuse of campaign funds and underreporting income on their tax returns. They also resigned from their positions.
The final sentences are expected to be handed down in early July.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Get ready for the BET Experience, featuring Beyoncé, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Erykah Badu, Kendrick Lamar and many more. Go here for more details and info on how to buy tickets. Register now to attend free film screenings, celebrity basketball games and more.
(Photo: AP Photo/Cliff Owen, File)
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024