(Photo by Samir Hussein/WireImage)
Meghan Markle is mourning the loss of her second child after suffering a miscarriage in July. In a powerful essay written in the New York Times on Wednesday (Nov. 25), the Duchess of Sussex revealed her devastating loss.
“I knew, as I clutched my firstborn child, that I was losing my second,” she wrote in the nearly 1,000 word Times essay. “Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked by few.”
The 39-year-old shared that she and her husband Prince Harry, experienced the terrifying event in the couple’s new home in Montecito, Calif., when she felt that something was wrong during that morning. Markle said that after changing her son Archie’s diaper, she suddenly felt a cramp, “I dropped to the floor with him in my arms, humming a lullaby to keep us both calm, the cheerful tune a stark contrast to my sense that something was not right,” she said.
“Hours later, I lay in a hospital bed, holding my husband’s hand. I felt the clamminess of his palm and kissed his knuckles, wet from both our tears. Staring at the cold white walls, my eyes glazed over. I tried to imagine how we’d heal," she continued. “In the pain of our loss, my husband and I discovered that in a room of 100 women, 10 to 20 of them will have suffered from a miscarriage. Yet despite the staggering commonality of this pain, the conversation remains taboo, riddled with (unwarranted) shame, and perpetuating a cycle of solitary mourning."
After deciding to leave the U.K. earlier this year, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry settled in California in August when they secretly purchased a $14 million mansion sitting on 5.4 acres of secluded land.
People reports that the couple has shared the news with their families and decided to share their loss with the public.
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024