Russell Simmons has a hip hop musical in the works, Variety reports. Simmons is putting together a stage play called The Scenario, spanning two decades of hip hop from the “golden age” of the mid-'80s to mid-'90s to the millennium era.
The Scenario will be produced through his Los Angeles-based company, DefPictures, alongside Tony Award-winning Rock of Ages producer Scott Prisand.
"Hip hop's explosion was fueled by a generation with an incredible hunger to discover new ways of expression," said Simmons in a statement. "These artists were always breaking the mold with new rhythms and new ideas, while at the same time telling so many important and timeless stories that over the decades have continued to remain just as relevant. This is why the music continues to strike a chord with fans worldwide. It felt like such a natural fit to weave the best of these sounds and stories into an energetic and thrilling musical that would transport audiences through one of the most innovative artistic movements of our time."
Prisand continued where Simmons left off, juxtaposing the Rock of Ages concept with hip hop. “Part of what made the Rock of Ages experience so incredible for theatergoers was the joy of hearing the most beloved songs of an era serve as the storyteller,” he said. “Russell is the catalyst of all this extraordinary music that has already touched generations to the core around the world; we're taking those beats everyone knows and loves, and setting them into a fun original story."
Acclaimed author and hip hop historian Dan Charnas will pen the original story. The production looks to debut in New York City in late 2016.
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Jared Milgrim/The Photo Access/The World Access/Corbis)
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024