Photo: PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP via Getty Images
Eleven years ago today, the U.S. Senate confirmed Eric Holder as U.S. Attorney General, making him the first African-American in the nation to hold the post.
Holder previously served as a judge in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and as a United States Attorney. While in that position, he led the prosecution of Congressman Dan Rostenkowski, a Democrat from Illinois, on charges of corruption. He also served as Deputy Attorney General in the administration of President Bill Clinton.
RELATED: Stacey Abrams To Hold Voter Rights Event In Atlanta
He was a U.S. Attorney until his elevation to Deputy Attorney General in 1997 under Attorney General Janet Reno. Holder also served on board of trustees of George Washington University in 1996 and 1997.
From 2001 until he became Attorney General, Holder worked as an attorney at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C., representing clients such as Merck and the National Football League. He represented the NFL during its dog fighting investigation against Michael Vick.
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024