Taking to X (formerly Twitter), Woods shared an official announcement ending months of speculation about his future with the brand.
"Over 27 years ago, I was fortunate to start a partnership with one of the most iconic brands in the world. The days have since been filled with so many amazing moments and memories, if I started naming them, I could go on forever," Woods wrote.
He also thanked Phil Knight, co-founder of Nike who was instrumental in bringing Woods into the brand.
“Phil Knight's passion and vision brought this Nike and Nike Golf partnership together and I want to personally thank him, along with the Nike employees and incredible athletes I have had the pleasure of working with along the way,” he continued.
On its Instagram page, Nike expressed their gratitude for one of the most iconic brand partnerships in professional sports history with a caption that read, “It was a hell of a round Tiger.’
“Tiger, you challenged your competition, stereotypes, conventions, the old school way of thinking,” the post stated. “ You challenged the entire institution of golf. You challenged us. And most of all, yourself. And for that challenge we’re grateful.”
The partnership comes to an end 10 years after Woods signed his final deal with Nike Golf for $200 million, according to The Oregonian.
Woods and Nike launched their partnership in 1996 when he signed a five-year, $40 million deal as a 20-year-old golf phenom.
“I guess, hello world, huh?” Woods said at the press conference held at the Greater Milwaukee Open at his first PGA tour event.
Just two days later, Nike launched the “Hello, World” as Woods brought excitement to the game that has yet to be duplicated. In the first year of career, he would become the first Black golfer to win a major when he won the Masters championship.
After becoming one of the biggest stars in the world, he renewed his deal with the company for more than $100 million in 2001. In 2006, he signed an eight-year deal that was reported to be worth more than $160 million. Donning his signature Black hat and red shirt with the Nike swoosh, Woods was the undisputed face of Nike Golf.
But all good things must come to an end. For several years Nike has been phasing out of the golf equipment business. In 2016, Nike Golf stopped making golf clubs, balls, and bags to put all of its resources into footwear and apparel. In the same year, Woods began playing with TaylorMade clubs.
Considered one of the greatest golfers of all time, Woods has won 15 majors, currently in second place to Jack Nicklaus (18), and his 82 career PGA Tour victories is tied with Sam Snead for the most all-time.
Woods is slated to compete at Los Angeles' Genesis Invitational in February where he will give "an exciting announcement" which many believed will be a new endorsement deal.
"People will ask if there is another chapter," Woods wrote. "Yes, there will certainly be another chapter. See you in LA!"
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024