Tyler James Williams isn’t the only celebrity in his family. During a recent interview, the actor revealed that he comes from a singing family and that his parents sang background for several legendary artists, including the Godmother of Soul, Pattie Labelle.
Ahead of the season two finale of ABC’s critically acclaimed Abbott Elementary, the Emmy Award-winning actor stopped by The Jennifer Hudson Show on Wednesday, April 19, where he and the EGOT-winning host, Jennifer Hudson, talked about several topics, including the actor’s musical parents, Le'Roy and Angela Williams.
It all came up while the Everybody Hates Chris star was sharing a story about the iconic photos in his family’s home, including one of his then 18-month-old brother “screaming” in the arms of the late Luther Vandross. “My brother’s screaming, by the way, as if he’s being tortured, not knowing he’s in an iconic photo,” the actor joked.
Williams said his parents not only rubbed shoulders and sang for Vandross, but they also worked with Labelle, Nona [Hendryx], and “so many” others. He continued. “They go pretty far back, and like, It’s crazy how talent kind of moves through family.”
The Dear White People actor revealed that his brothers and actors, Tyrel Jackson Williams and Tylen Jacob Williams, still create music. As for himself, the star said while he can “hold a note,” he falls short of his other singing relatives.
“When you have a family of singers, who can flat-foot blow, ‘can you sing’ is a touchy question,” Williams quipped. “I can hold a note, I can keep along with anybody, but compared to them, I cannot.”
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024