Abbott Elementary’s breakout star Janelle James is the comedy world’s latest gem who rose to prominence last year thanks to her role as the Abbott Elementary School’s unruly principal, Ava Coleman.
Her performance as television’s favorite new villain earned her an “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series” nomination at the 2023 NAACP Image Awards. She is up against several amazing actresses, including Jenifer Lewis, Marsai Martin, Wanda Sykes, and Abbott costar Sheryl Lee Ralph.
So in honor of her recognition, get to know the rising star better with these five facts. And don’t forget to turn into the biggest celebration in Black Hollywood, airing live on Saturday, February 25th, 2023, at 8:00 PM ET on BET.
She was never interested in becoming an actress
Despite being one of the funniest stars on ABC’s Abbott Elementary, James revealed in an interview with the New York Times that she never intended to become an actress.
“It was funny,” the breakout star said of the script. “I’m a comedian, so that appeals to me, and if I were to act, I didn’t necessarily want my first role to be a dramatic crying role. So I was like, ‘Oh, comedy, I can do that.’ And it was hilarious, which is hard for a script to be,” she added.
She wants the success of Richard Pryor
When asked whose careers she’d wish to emulate or who inspires her, James answered Richard Pryor. “He’s the GOAT. People forget about his whole movie career,” she shared in an interview last May. I feel like people forget about him, period, in a disrespectful way, but he’s the prototype. Excellent standup and then an equally good and hilarious film career. I really like him.
She made Variety’s top list of up-and-coming comedians to watch
In 2020, James landed a spot on Variety’s list of 10 Comics to Watch. Entertainers included Franqi French, Ziwe Fumudoh, Dewayne Perkins, and many more.
Watch the NAACP Image Awards live on Saturday, February 25, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET/PT on BET.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024