Photo Credit: Axelle/Bauer-Griffin?/?Contributor
Photo Credit: Axelle/Bauer-Griffin / Contributor
Misty Copeland is a trailblazer in the world of ballet. She is the first Black woman principal dancer in the American Ballet Theatre, has signed lucrative endorsement deals and also has her own Barbie doll. And when the COVID-19 pandemic hit the ballet community, Copleand helped to organize Swans For Relief, a recital to raise money for the struggling dance community.
Now, the 37-year-old is using her platform to speak out on how the national protests for police reform in the wake of the killing of George Floyd, has changed her life.
Copeland told Yahoo Finance, “For me, it's the first time, in my position, that I feel like I'm truly being heard and to me, that's a step. You know, this has been my life's work as a dancer: speaking about racism in the world, and in ballet, speaking about the lack of diversity.”
RELATED: Misty Copeland Is American Ballet Company’s First Black Prima Ballerina
She continued, “To have the ballet world listening, and to have different panels to speak about this—in a way that I have before, but again, for the first time, people are really seeing it. And I think that’s what's different about this time, is that I feel like we have true allies and people from other communities and races that we've not had before.”
In the video below, watch Copeland talk more with Yahoo Finance about how dancers are struggling for work during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024