Photo: Minnesota Department of Corrections
"We have heard that he is expected to survive,” Attorney General Keith Ellison’s spokesperson Brian Evans said Sunday (Nov. 26), about Chauvin’s condition after a prison knife attack, in an emailed statement to Reuters.
Chauvin pleaded guilty in 2021 to federal charges of violating Floyd’s civil rights when he kneeled on the handcuffed Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes, ignoring the Black man’s plea to be allowed to breathe. In a separate state conviction, a jury in 2021 convicted Chauvin of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
Ellison’s office confirmed that Chauvin was stabbed on Friday (Nov. 24) while serving his 21-year federal prison sentence in Tucson, Ariz., The New York Times reported.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons statement, which did not identify Chauvin, said emergency medical technicians “initiated lifesaving measures” before taking the former cop to a local hospital. No other inmates or prison staff were injured.
“I am sad to hear that Derek Chauvin was the target of violence. He was duly convicted of his crimes and, like any incarcerated individual, he should be able to serve his sentence without fear of retaliation or violence,” Ellison said in an email statement Saturday (Nov. 25) to Reuters.
A shocking video of Chauvin’s violent arrest sparked nationwide demonstrations against police brutality and systemic racism in the criminal justice system.
Ellison oversaw Chauvin’s state prosecution. Chauvin is serving a concurrent 22 ½ year state sentence.
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024