(Photo: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images)
We lost another legend. Robert Guillaume, who was a television and theater legend, passed away today. He was 89.
Born in St. Louis on November 30, 1927, Robert Guillaume is most famous for playing Benson DuBois in Benson from 1979 to 1986. He was a wise-cracking butler who always had a comeback for the family he worked for. The role earned him three Golden Globe nominations and two Emmy awards, making him the only Black man to win for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.
Guillaume was also the voice of Rafiki in 1994's The Lion King, and he appeared in countless films including Lean on Me with Morgan Freeman. In 1977, Guillaume earned a Tony nomination for his performance in Guys and Dolls.
In 1999, Guillaume suffered a stroke, but that didn't stop him from acting. He kept working up until 2013.
Robert Guillaume reportedly died of prostate cancer. Our condolences go out to his friends, family and fans.
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024