The holidays can be a tricky time for folks especially those attempting to manage awkward, blended family dynamics. Take some advice from two ladies who have successfully navigated their way through the spotlight of Hollywood all the while focusing on creating a blended family that works for everyone involved.
Red Table Talk co-hosts Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow Smith, and Adrienne Banfield-Jones (aka Gammy) are joined on the episode airing on Tuesday (Nov. 24) at 9am PT / 12pm ET on Facebook Watch by Will Smith’s first wife Sheree Zampino, who is also the mother of their 28-year old son, Trey. The ladies gather in their family kitchen to cook and learn a few holiday traditions just days ahead of Thanksgiving.
The first suggestion is to share in the cooking duties where Zampino usually takes on most of the work while Pinkett Smith admits she’s usually the one who brings dessert. Zampino and the ladies work together on her recipes for “Ree’s Crack and Cheese,” (a play on Mac & Cheese) and her holiday "Rose Gold Champagne Bubbly" cocktail, all the while sharing heartwarming stories and moments about their family get-togethers.
Watch the BET.com clip of her appearance on Red Table Talk below.
The episode also features viral vegan super star Tabitha Brown and social media sensation Joshuah Nishi of @NishCooks, both of who bring their unique flavors and cooking styles to the Red Table Talk kitchen.
Brown shares her vegan recipe for “Jackfruit Pot Roast” while Nishi makes his “Fried Onion Bloom” and “Deep-Fried Cookies.”
Check out Zampino’s recipe for “Crack and Cheese” below and tune-in to Facebook Watch for a heartwarming episode of Red Table Talk on Tuesday, November 24 at 9am PT /12pm ET.
Ree’s Crack and Cheese
Prep Time: 10 mins | Active Cook Time: 2 hr 30 mins | Serves: 4 - 6
• 1 1⁄2 cups dried Elbow Pasta (Yielding about 3 cups cooked) Kosher salt
• 2 sticks Butter, room temp
• 3 cans Evaporated Milk, room temp
• 4 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar, cubed
• 2 cups Parmesan, shredded
• 1 cup American Processed Cheese, cubed
• 1⁄2 cup Heavy cream, room temp
• 2 Eggs, room temp
• 1 Tbsp Fresh Dill, patted dry and roughly chopped
• 1 tsp Seasoning Salt
• 1 tsp Black Pepper, to taste
• 1 tsp Creole Seasoning to taste
1. Bring a 4 qt saucepan or pasta pot full of water to a boil. Season with salt generously. When the water is boiling, cook the pasta according to box instructions. You want a pretty al dente pasta as you will be baking this whole dish for another hour or so. Drain the pasta and set aside until ready to assemble.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
3. In a large 6-7 qt dutch oven over the stove top, melt your butter. Add the three cans of evaporated milk to the butter and stir to combine, when both are warm and incorporated, add in all the cheeses. Turn your heat down to medium low heat and whisk until all the cheese is melted.
4. Crack your two eggs into a small bowl. Add the heavy cream to the eggs and whisk. Add this egg cream mixture into the pot. Whisk on medium low heat vigorously until fully combined and the sauce is velvety.
5. Season the cheese sauce with dill, seasoning salt, freshly ground black pepper, creole seasoning and taste to adjust. Cheese Sauce will be loose, but it will tighten up in the oven.
6. Add the cooked pasta into the pot with the cheese sauce, toss to coat all the pasta. Place your casserole dish into the oven and back for 1 hour and 15 mins until thick, bubbly and gooey, and the cheese is golden brown on top. Serve warm.