(Photo: Nicholas K. Geranios/AP/REX/Shutterstock)
Like moth to a flame, this week's racism debate has pulled the otherwise dormant Rachel Dolezal out of hibernation.
In the aftermath of H&M's much-discussed catalog model faux pas — which incited ire from H&M collaborators Jesse Williams and The Weeknd yet ambivalence from the child model's mom — Dolezal has taken to hawking copies of the hoodie seen 'round the world, albeit with a more positive twist.
However, because of the nature of Dolezal's self-perceived racial identity, she actually managed to stir up some trouble with what people found to be an offensive re-design of an already offensive design. Where the H&M sweatshirt in question originally read "Coolest Monkey in the Jungle," Rachel's first stab at the redesign read "Coolest Prince in the Hood." After backlash hit, she updated the masses via Twitter that she had "cancelled printing" and swapped the word "hood" for "world."
The sweatshirts currently retail on Dolezal's website for $15 and, in the description, she details a trying experience with her son, in which a schoolmate called him a "monkey," that came to mind after seeing the sweatshirt. "Put your young prince in a hoodie that emphasizes his worth," the description reads.
There is no indication in the description that proceeds go to pro-Black causes instead of lining Dolezal's pockets. Interesting.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024