Courtesy of Hearns family attorney
Radazz Hearns, a 14-year-old from Trenton, N.J., was shot seven times by two New Jersey police officers last week while running away, reports NJ.com.
Hearns, who is in stable condition at Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton, was shot five times in the back of his right leg, once in the left leg and one bullet lodged in his pelvis. The officers were responding to reports of shots fired in the neighborhood.
"Those police were amped and they didn't give that little boy a chance,'' Rhonda Tirado, who witnessed the shooting near her home, told NJ.com. "There was no room for no chase. They just shot that little boy right there."
Witnesses also reported that Hearns had reached for his waistband before the officers fired, according to the state's attorney general's office. Hearns was unarmed.
"I just want everyone to know this whole thing is tragic, and it's very hard," said Salema Jackson, Hearns's mother, at Shiloh Baptist Church in Trenton. "It's hard to see a child hurt and you can't help him."
The incident is under investigation by the state's Office of the Attorney General because it involved a state police trooper and a sheriff's officer for Mercer County. The names of the officers involved have not been released. Leaders in the community, including Trenton's mayor, Eric Jackson, and Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, have expressed frustration that details have not yet been revealed.
"No matter what happened that night, he's here to tell his story," said Samuel A. Anyan Jr., the victim's family lawyer. "All signs lead to the fact that Mr. Hearns was unarmed and was fleeing from the officers when he was shot."
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.
Click here to enter the #LookYourSundayBest contest for a chance to win FREE natural hair-care products.
(Photo: Courtesy of Hearns Family Attorney)
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024