Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
The first jobs report of the year came as the White House and congressional lawmakers were engaged in an intense debate over whether to restore unemployment benefits that expired on Dec. 28. The good news is that the unemployment rate for African-Americans fell once again from 12.5 percent in November to 11.9 percent in December. The national unemployment rate also dropped to 6.7 percent, the lowest since 2008.
The economy, however, added just 74,000 jobs last month, a figure much lower than the 238,000 ADP, in its monthly report on job trends, had predicted. On Thursday, the Labor Department reported that the number of Americans filing first-time claims for unemployment insurance in the week ending Jan, 4, was 330,000, a decrease of 15,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 345,000.
Congressional Black Caucus Chairwoman Marcia Fudge wishes she could be more optimistic about the jobless rate in African-American and other communities of color.
"I'm certainly hopeful that the December number will be good for African-Americans," Fudge told BET.com on the eve before the numbers were released. "In every single report, African-Americans have lagged behind everybody else. So I'm just hopeful that we don't fall any further behind than we already are. But I know that we need to do more, no matter what the numbers show, to target communities of color and high poverty to make sure we can get them back to work."
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Follow Joyce Jones on Twitter: @BETpolitichick.
(Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024
- Kanye West and Ty Dolla Sign Sued For 'Unauthorized Interpolation' By Donna Summer's EstateThe lawsuit claims that the two artists used Summers "I Feel Love" without permission on their track "Good (Don't Die)" from their album “Vultures 1.”02/28/2024
- BET Talks: Torrei Hart Says She Phoned Ex-Husband Kevin Hart ‘Out Of Respect’ When She Decided To Join Katt Williams On Tour“There are children involved. I’m not out here to be messy at all,” she told BET.02/28/2024
- Lynda Gravátt, Acclaimed Broadway and Television Actress, Dies at 76The award-winning actress appeared in several productions on stages in New York and played a pivotal role in the Washington D.C., theater community.02/28/2024
- Rihanna And A$AP Rocky Star In New Fenty Short FilmThis power couple is unstoppable!02/28/2024
- Chanel Iman and NFL Star Davon Godchaux Tie the Knot in Romantic Caribbean Yacht Wedding"Together we will continue to move mountains and love each other through thick and thin,” said the supermodel.02/28/2024