(Photo: Getty Images)
Two students were given an in-school suspension at an Alabama high school after engaging in a “promposal” for a same sex couple.
According to students at Alexandria High, one girl was asking her girlfriend to prom during a talent show while another female friend assisted.
The Associated Press identified one of the girls as Janizia Ross, 17. Her girlfriend, who was performing at the talent show on Tuesday, was not disciplined.
The school officials called the promposal a “disruption” because it took place on campus grounds, yet Ross’ mother, Jeanise Ross-Walton, said similar events have taken place on campus without notice.
Other students confirmed Ross-Walton’s account.
"If it was a male and a female student, nothing would have been done," Ashley Fadely, a senior at Alexandria High, told AL.com.
Fadely also said the actual incident was not disruptive.
"I was there when it happened. It was right after her performance. No words were spoken by them. They just got happy, hugged and that was it," Fadely said.
Principal Anthony Mack Holley later made an announcement over the school public address system saying that Alexandria High is a "Christian school" and he apologized to anyone who was offended by the prom invitation, Ross-Walton told The Associated Press.
Several current and former students posted on social media about the incident. Fadely said some students have started a movement to boycott prom if the two girls are not allowed to go together.
"I don't think it was right that they might not be allowed to go to prom. I've decided...I'm not going to prom," Fadely told AL.com. "Some students have been trying to get refunds for prom (fees already paid)."
However, some have defended the school's decision.
"I'm happy the two received in-school suspension. The girl who made the proposal made a VERY public display of affection, which is disruptive to a school environment. Straight students should be punished for similar offenses," wrote Timothy Santoro on Facebook.
One past student claimed she was punished in a similar fashion when she was kissing her boyfriend at school.
"I got suspended for 2 days for kissing my boyfriend outside of a classroom.so that could be the case also," wrote Hillary Barker on Facebook.
- Princess Love Files For Divorce From Ray JThe star of "Love & Hip Hop Hollywood" broke the news on Instagram.02/26/2024
- 5 Things We Learned From the ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?’ DocuseriesThe two-part doc revealed much about the former TV show host's struggles with health, finances, and her bitter divorce.02/26/2024
- ‘Peetah’ Morgan Of Morgan Heritage Reggae Band Dies at 46No cause of death has been revealed.02/26/2024
- Ayo Edebiri And Da'Vine Joy Randolph Both Snag 2024 SAG AwardsLet’s show these sistas some love for their history-making achievements.02/26/2024
- Quavo Responds To Fan With Back Tattoo of Rapper's FaceThe loyal fan showed the Atlanta rapper his tribute to him in Milan, Italy.02/26/2024
- Jeffrey Wright Delivers Stirring Tribute To His Family At 2024 Spirit Awards“I am nowhere without you,” said the actor.02/26/2024