(Photo: Aaron J. Thornton/WireImage)
This year’s BET Hip Hop Awards made a grand return to the hip-hop mecca of South in Atlanta, Georgia. The Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, brimming with rap’s most formidable and promising contenders, set the stage for one of music’s biggest nights in popular culture, Saturday (Oct. 5).
Hosted by stand-up comedian Lil’ Duval, the 2019 BET Hip Hop Awards introduced a number of new components to the show’s 14-year history, further expanding its breadth of Black excellence.
From new cyphers to Lil’ Kim’s legacy honor, below are five surprise performances and new categories that made for a historic night in hip-hop music and culture. Make sure to catch the official airing this coming Tuesday (Oct. 8) at 8 p.m. ET.
Lil’ Kim Brings Out Junior Mafia For Legacy Performance
Moses Robinson/Getty Images for BET
The original Queen Bee and this year’s recipient of the I Am Hip Hop Award, Lil’ Kim brought the house down with a legacy performance that featured the Notorious B.I.G.-formed Junior M.A.F.I.A., with a guest appearance from O.T. Genasis for the wildly inventive “Found You,” off Kim’s upcoming 9 album.
Best International Flow
The Best International Flow is a new category that recognizes recording artists from around the world, with this year’s nominees spanning Nigeria, UK, France, South Africa, Ghana and Canada.
The Comedian Cypher
One of the most innovative cyphers to date, BET’s first comedian cypher was at once wickedly witty and sophisticated in rhymes, featuring Lil’ Duval himself and many more.
Live Battle Rap Tournament
For the first time ever, BET introduced its audience to a competition of battle rap, one of the most traditional and challenging forms of cypher-ing. The winner takes home a $25,000 reward.
Saweetie Is Joined By Lil Jon & Petey Pablo
Aaron J. Thornton/WireImage
One of rap’s most liked artists today, Saweetie performed her breakout song “My Type,” and was shockingly joined on stage by Southern icon Lil Jon and Petey Pablo, whose original “Freek-A-Leek” birthed Saweetie’s hit single.
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024