Watch: Full Details Behind Baltimore Police Shooting and Killing Young Mother Next to Her Son

Korryn Gaines posted a video of her 5-year-old recorded moments before her death.

A standoff involving the Baltimore County police resulted in the death of a young mother and the injuring of her 5-year-old son.

Yesterday morning, three officers appeared at the residence of Korryn Gaines. The officers arrived at her home in order to serve her and a man with arrest warrants. Gaines, 23, had a warrant for failing to appear in court on charges related to previous cases of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest following a traffic stop. The man, who was identified Tuesday as Kareem Kiean Courtney, 39, had warrants for an assault charge. 

Gaines, as well as Courtney, another child, and her 5-year-old son were inside the apartment when officers arrived.

Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson told reporters that the officers knocked on Gaines’s door multiple times and stated that they were present to issue warrants. When no one answered the door, the officers obtained a key from the landlord.

When the officers entered Gaines’s residence, they claimed to have seen Gaines sitting on the floor with a long gun pointed in their direction. Johnson said the officers then retreated back to the hallway to call for support.

The firearm in question was obtained legally by Gaines.

Mr. Courtney tried to flee the scene with a 1-year-old, but they were detained outside of the building.

The officers and Gaines engaged in a standoff that lasted several hours. During this time, Gaines filmed a video with her young son where she asks him to explain what is happening. Although the child smiles in the video, it’s clear that he is afraid. At one point he even says the police "are trying to kill us."

Police spokeswoman Elise Armacost said in a press conference that Gaines allegedly told officers, "If you don't leave, I'm going to kill you.”

Police then opened fire on Gaines, who allegedly fired back until she was shot multiple times and eventually died.

During the gun fire, Gaines's son was wounded. The officers involved have been placed on administrative leave and this incident will be investigated.

Although Gaines's son has been injured, he is expected to survive. Black Lives Matter supporters have already begun paying tribute and memorializing Korryn Gaines. There is a vigil scheduled for this Friday night

After the shooting, friends and activists have noticed that several of her social media accounts have been deleted. It is not known how they were deleted, but many are blaming the police and claiming that they are trying to hide several videos that she took of them at earlier points in time.

The videos from her Instagram account remain active and can be viewed below, along with several public reactions to her death. 

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.

By clicking Subscribe, you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. You also agree to receive marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers) and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. You understand that you can unsubscribe at any time.