Chance the Rapper is coming into his own, and watching his journey unfold has been an undeniable highlight of 2016.
From becoming President Obama’s favorite new rapper (sorry, Kendrick) to releasing the first project to chart on the Billboard 100 based on streams alone to getting all the compliments from Kanye West himself to buying back his own concert tickets from scalpers to ensure that his true fans could be in attendee to his first-ever festival, Chance is a new hero the rap game desperately needed.
While it’s difficult to assert what is most impressive about Chance the Rapper, it is without a doubt that he is a perfect candidate to win Best New Hip-Hop Artist at this year's 2016 BET Hip-Hop Awards, permanently marking his place in our hearts, playlists and history alike.
Here are the top 10 #MostDope moments of Chance the Rapper's career thus far (in no particular order).
1. He absolutely killed it on Jimmy Fallon's The Tonight Show. The proof is in the performance, during which he brought out the likes of Ty Dolla $ign, D.R.A.M., Anthony Hamilton and Raury for a lush rendition of his track "Blessings."
3. Chance singlehandedly bought back tickets that scalpers swooped up so giving his real fans an opportunity to attend his sold-out Magnificent Coloring Day in Chicago. He even made physical copies and sold them back to fans for a fair price.
It's become apparent to me that many people have targeted my cheap tickets to #MCD and used me and my fans as a way to make money from music— Lil Chano From 79th (@chancetherapper) August 1, 2016
5. Chance used the viral #SoGoneChallenge as an opportunity to deliver the sweetest verse of all time to his girlfriend, redefining #RelationshipGoals.
7. Chance literally made history when he independently dropped his Coloring Book mixtape landed him at the #8 slot on the Billboard 100, making him the first artist to debut in the top 10 based on streaming numbers alone.
8. The Chicago rapper hit an impressive career milestone when he was named as a brand ambassador for none other his hometown team, the White Sox.
Chance too good. God level bars.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) May 18, 2016
10. In addition to being an incredibly talented emcee, Chance also is extremely charitable. Several times this year, the rapper figured out creative ways to give back to his community. Back in January of this past year, for one example of his generous heart, Chance led a fundraising effort that raised over $100,000 in donations to help supply the homeless with winter coats.
If this past year has been any indication, the Chicago rapper isn't going to slow down any time soon. Congrats to an amazing year and on your first time winning at the BET Hip-Hop Awards, Chance! To many more!
(Photo: Taylor Hill/Getty Images for The Meadows)
TRENDING IN MUSIC